Highland Skating Club is an 100% volunteer run organization. Beginning July 1, 2018 USFS has implemented SafeSport Compliance for all adult volunteers participating in any of the following activities:
- All volunteers in any sanctioned events or club activities who come in close contact with athletes
- Team Managers/Service personnel for synchronized skating and theatre on ice teams
- Locker room volunteers for competitions, ice shows, club events, programs, etc.
- Club SafeSport Compliance Chairs
What this means for you is that if you are volunteering, you need to be compliant. Here is how to do so:
1. Log into your Members Only account at usfsaonline.org.
2. Click red bar: “Your member compliance is NOT COMPLETE,”
or the U.S. Figure Skating SafeSport icon (second from left)
3. All compliance items are in the blue box that will appear on the screen.
a. For SafeSport Initial Training, click red “BEGIN” button.
i. Enter your member number.
ii. Validate the information is yours.
iii. Complete the Account Setup, create a password.
iv. You will need access to the email address entered to validate the email before you can begin the
b. For a Background Check, click the red “BEGIN” button.
i. You will be required to validate your information before being sent to the National Center for Safety
Initiatives in a new window. Based on your role, if you are directed to payment, it must be collected
before you can begin the background check.
ii. Please have your Social Security Number, past addresses and driver’s license available
The Highland Skating Club will reimburse any of its members for the cost of acquiring your background check. In order to be reimbursed, you must fill out the reimbursement request form and submit it along with your receipt.
Opportunities for volunteering
- Blades on Ice Competition
- Annual Hijinx Show
- Board Membership/Junior Board Membership
Volunteer Hours and Grants
Highland Skating Club members are eligible to apply for annual grants as a thank you for your volunteer efforts.
1. No volunteer hours may be used as credits for test sessions or club ice sessions.
2. Hours earned June 1, 2018-May 31, 2019 must be submitted via the volunteer involvement worksheet to the membership chair within 30 days of completion.
3. Board to approve all submitted hours at monthly board meetings. After board approval, hours will be added to members’ accounts, by the membership chair, on entryeeze.
4. Hours submitted for grants are earned from June 1 to May 31 of the skating calendar year. Unused hours from previous years are not carried forward.
5. A skater earns 1 volunteer hour when they drop off/deliver food as a volunteer opportunity. All other hours are accumulated by the number of hours physically spent volunteering.
6. Grant applications are due by June 1st of that calendar year and must be submitted to the HSC secretary.
7. Applications will be reviewed and grants will be determined no later than June 15th.
Highland Skating Club Jacket
25 hours of volunteer service. Valid for any membership category including pre-introductory & associate. Maximum award value: $175.
Skaters may submit additional funds of their own to ensure that they receive the jacket model and features that they desire.
Skater Sportsmanship Fund
30 hours of volunteer service. Valid for any membership category including pre-introductory and associate. Receipts showing proof of expenses must be submitted with the application.
Maximum award value: $500.
The Skater Sportsmanship Fund offers skaters an opportunity to earn monetary support for training ice, coaching, testing, boots and blades, sharpenings, skating apparel, club uniforms and club ice.
Travel and Training Fund
40 hours of volunteer service. Valid only for home club members who compete at Regionals, Sectionals or Nationals. Receipts showing proof of expenses must be submitted with the application. Maximum award value $1000.
The Travel and Training Fund offers our Regionals, Sectionals, and/or Nationals competitiors an opportunity to earn monetary support for training ice, coaching, competition apparel, entry fees and competition travel costs.