Highland Skating Club is an 100% volunteer run organization. Beginning July 1, 2018 USFS has implemented SafeSport Compliance for all adult volunteers participating in any of the following activities:
- All volunteers in any sanctioned events or club activities who come in close contact with athletes
- Team Managers/Service personnel for synchronized skating and theatre on ice teams
- Locker room volunteers for competitions, ice shows, club events, programs, etc.
- Club SafeSport Compliance Chairs
What this means for you is that if you are volunteering, you need to be compliant. Here is how to do so:
1. Log into your Members Only account at usfsaonline.org.
2. Click red bar: “Your member compliance is NOT COMPLETE,”
or the U.S. Figure Skating SafeSport icon (second from left)
3. All compliance items are in the blue box that will appear on the screen.
a. For SafeSport Initial Training, click red “BEGIN” button.
i. Enter your member number.
ii. Validate the information is yours.
iii. Complete the Account Setup, create a password.
iv. You will need access to the email address entered to validate the email before you can begin the
b. For a Background Check, click the red “BEGIN” button.
i. You will be required to validate your information before being sent to the National Center for Safety
Initiatives in a new window. Based on your role, if you are directed to payment, it must be collected
before you can begin the background check.
ii. Please have your Social Security Number, past addresses and driver’s license available
The Highland Skating Club will reimburse any of its members for the cost of acquiring your background check. In order to be reimbursed, you must fill out the reimbursement request form and submit it along with your receipt.
Opportunities for volunteering
- Winterfest (Click Here for Details)
- Blades on Ice Competition
- Annual Hijinx Show
- Board Membership/Junior Board Membership
Volunteer Hours and Grants
Highland Skating Club members are eligible to apply for annual grants as a thank you for your volunteer efforts.
1. No volunteer hours may be used as credits for test sessions or club ice sessions.
2. Hours earned June 1, 2018-May 31, 2019 must be submitted via the volunteer involvement worksheet to the membership chair by May 31st, 2018 within 30 days of completition.
3. Board to approve all submitted hours at monthly board meetings. After board approval, hours will be added to members’ accounts, by the membership chair, on entryeeze.
4. Hours submitted for grants are earned from June 1 to May 31 of the skating calendar year. Unused hours from previous years are not carried forward.
5. A skater earns 1 volunteer hour when they drop off/deliver food as a volunteer opportunity. All other hours are accumulated by the number of hours physically spent volunteering.
6. Grant applications are due by June 1st of that calendar year and must be submitted to the HSC secretary.
7. Applications will be reviewed and grants will be determined no later than June 15th.
Highland Skating Club Jacket
25 hours of volunteer service. Valid for any membership category including pre-introductory & associate. Maximum award value: $175.
Skaters may submit additional funds of their own to ensure that they receive the jacket model and features that they desire.
Skater Sportsmanship Fund
30 hours of volunteer service. Valid for any membership category including pre-introductory and associate. Receipts showing proof of expenses must be submitted with the application.
Maximum award value: $500.
The Skater Sportsmanship Fund offers skaters an opportunity to earn monetary support for training ice, coaching, testing, boots and blades, sharpenings, skating apparel, club uniforms and club ice.
Travel and Training Fund
40 hours of volunteer service. Valid only for home club members who compete at Regionals, Sectionals or Nationals. Receipts showing proof of expenses must be submitted with the application. Maximum award value $1000.
The Travel and Training Fund offers our Regionals, Sectionals, and/or Nationals competitiors an opportunity to earn monetary support for training ice, coaching, competition apparel, entry fees and competition travel costs.
November 23rd, 2018-January 6th, 2019
Seattle Center Ice Rink, Fisher Pavilion (West of the Center House)
Winterfest is Highland Skating Club’s main annual fundraising activity. HSC provides volunteers for the Seattle Center Ice Rink and, in turn, receives a portion of the ticket sales, which covers more than half of our operating revenue for the year. This money allows HSC to provide club sessions, test sessions, Hi-Jinks, competition, skater grants, and other skating services to its members. By volunteering, you can help the club reduce its expenses of running this fundraiser.
Sun-Thur 11am – 8pm
Fri and Sat 11am – 10pm
Christmas Eve: rink closes at 4pm
Christmas Day: Closed
New Year’s Eve: 11am-11:45pm
Volunteer shifts vary between 3 and 5 hours. Volunteers may sign-up for back-to-back shifts. If you cannot work a full shift, please make a comment regarding the time you can work. It is important that you cancel your shift in advance so someone else can sign up for the spot. If you are working a shift of 5 or more hours, you will be allowed one 15-20 minute break for every four hours worked – the timing at the rink manager’s discretion. Please check in at the ticket booth or with the on-duty rink manager when you arrive or leave.
1) Handing out and putting away skates
2) Serving as rink patrol
3) Helping to clean (resurface) the ice
4) Assisting customers
Greatest needs for volunteers:
1) Any shift after December 19th when schools begin the holiday break
2) Evening shifts starting December 12th. (Most of the student volunteers cannot work evenings.)
3) Christmas Eve (This is traditionally a very busy day.)
4) New Year’s Eve (all day and evening shifts)
Parking at Seattle Center:
Street parking is free after 8pm, on Sundays and on holidays. We request you use street parking when possible. Otherwise, we recommend parking at the First Avenue Garage, which is the closest garage to Fisher Pavilion. In order to park for free in the garage, make sure to get a parking pass from the rink ticket booth after your shift.